Want to Try Ice Boating? It’s all here. Click to start
Several boats sailed Pushaw Lake in Orono ME today- good breeze and decent ice surface BUT there are some drain holes, some big enough to eat a whole boat! Proceed with caution of you go at all…
The Nite Nationals were on Lake Kegonsa in WI last weekend (March 16-17).
The photo in the link below wast taken two days later. Click and feel free to say “WOW!!”
Great photo and a great reminder to enjoy the ice while we have it but proceed with extra caution this time of year!
Thanks again to Scuttlebutt and Deb Whitehorse for the great content.
The Nite sailors out west raced their National Champs and it sounds like it was a great regatta!
Thanks to Scuttlebutt for putting the article and vid on their front page-
Click here and check it out!
The 2019 Canadian DN champs are in the books! Just about two dozen boats turned up to race on smooth ice and good breeze and it was a memorable day!
Sailors from as far north as Nova Scotia, as far south as RI, and as far west as MI were in attendance as well as one or two transplants from Poland and Switzerland so it had a multinational flavor…
Results are up on the Kingston Yacht Club site at https://results.kingstonyachtclub.com/?r=2019/Regattas/2019%20DN%20Canadian%20Championships.htm
Great work by Peter Kraszewski (PRO) getting the races of quickly in changing winds. Thanks to all the scorers too for the hard work in the cold and wind.
And thanks to Peter Van Rossem for putting the whole thing together!
Stay tuned, the ice may hang in there for awhile, could be doing more sailing up there before this season is out-
Hello All- Great sailing up in Kingston, ON at the Canadian DN champs last weekend- great ice, good breeze, and all in the month of March!
Rumor has it that there is still a ton of good, sailable ice in ME, VT and Canada- If you know of any good ice let’s hear about it- Would be great to get more cruising and racing in…. DN Easterns? Winni Frolic? Many possibilities…
The Kingston DN Guys are going ahead with The 2019 Canadian Championships for this SUNDAY…FIRST RACE PLANNED AT 10:00.
See Notice Of Race below. Be there or be square!
Location, Kingston Yacht Club.
Registration is on site at KYC Sunday Morning between 8 and 9 on shore. Proof of insurance is mandatory.
If you want to sail Saturday you are welcome …we will be but winds are supose to be over 20 knots and we expect (Environment Canada)2 cm of snow.
Ice thickness measured in the Chanel off KYC Harbour is 12″ black as of this post.
If you have any questions, let me know.
Documents to follow when I am able.
Peter Van Rossem Sr.
2019 DN Canadian Championships
Notice of Race
International DN Ice Yacht Racing Association
2019 Championship Regatta
March 17, 2019
The Eastern Region and Regatta Chairman Peter Van Rossem (KC2766) and John Curtis (KC 5514), on behalf of the IDNIYRA, hereby invites all DN iceboaters to the 2019 Canadian Championship Regatta.
· All races will be governed by the Racing Rules of the National Iceboat Authority, the Bylaws of the IDNIYRA, the Notice of Race, including any amendments to the NOR, (except as any of these are altered by the sailing instructions) and the Sailing instructions. Sailing Instructions will be given out at registration.
• Races shall be sailed under the rules of the National Iceboat Authority and those of the IDNIYRA.
· The regatta is scheduled for 7 races with ONE throw out.
· No Race will start after 16:00
· The number of Fleets and fleet size will be determined after registration.
· All courses will be a WINDWARD / LEEWARD Inline course with Darling Marks.
· A diagram of the race course is attached below and will be posted on the Official Notice Board located outside the southwest window of the Kingston Yacht Club. No copies will be provided. (Either print your copy or take a photo before you leave the KYC Harbour.)
· All races will be 3 Laps. Time limits as per IDNIYRA Class Rules
· All DN class yachts meeting the requirements of the DN official specifications and whose skippers meet the requirements of the bylaws of the IDNIYRA as stated in sections IDNIYRA Regattas are eligible to enter and race in the championships.
· All participants shall provide proof of $300,000 personal liability at time of Registration.
· The primary site for registration is the Kingston Yacht Club, 1 Maitland Steet, Kingston, Ontario, Canada. KYC phone number 613 548 3052. Sailing will be Southwest of the Club House.
REGISTRATION, DEADLINE AND FEE
· Each skipper shall register in person at Kingston Yacht Club between 8-9 am the day of the regatta.
· Entry Fee shall be paid in Cash, $20,00 USD or CDN.
· No entry fee for Junior Skippers (under 25 years of age…Proof or Insurance Required)
· No entry fee will be accepted after the close of registration at 9:30am
· Sailing instructions and course diagram to be available to all competitors at time of final
· All skippers may be required to complete a Safety Test as part of registration.
Canadian Trophy shall be awarded after the regatta is completed. Presentation will be inside the Kingston Yacht Club.
REGATTA CONTACT Peter Van Rossem KC 2766 petervanrossemsr 613-572-2232