Passing along the best opportunity any of us have seen in a long time. Don’t put your boat away just yet. Go to Moosehead…
The NEIYA New England Championship regatta is once again postponed. We will keep trying for this winter (Moosehead? Champlain?) but looking more like next December. Anyway, be ready to travel far. Think good ice!
Keep hope alive…
Steve Madden went full out for us and got up to Lake Memphremagog, VT this afternoon and assessed the launch and plate. Unfortunately it is not to be for course racing as the surface is already soft with some large crystals and some other limiting factors of the venue are not what either Steve or myself would consider championship worthy conditions. The NEIYA New Englands and IDNIYRA Eastern Regional Championships are postponed once again. Thank you Steve!!
And from iceboat.me Lake Memphramagog ON for the Weekend. Check iceboat.me
Posted on March 1, 2018 by billbuchholz
Newport, VT. The cooling temps in the forecast suggest that the ice will remain hard. We will be getting there around noon on Friday and plan to sail all weekend. Accommodations at Newport City Inn and Suites, 802-334-6558.
Big iceboaters dinner party planned for Saturday night. Hundred Mile Race to be called on if conditions allow. Good winds will give times in under three hours. There will also be an attempt to sail north to Magog, but big pressure ridges often prevent this. Come prepared.
Launch at 44.998n x 72.197w. It’s just south of Eagle Point, where the road skirts the lake, about five miles north of Newport. Ramblin Roger drove his van on yesterday, so it should be fine for trailers. The ramp softened a bit at fifty degrees, but he still managed to drive off. (Ice fishermen use this access so be sure to keep it clear.) Temps aren’t supposed to get above mid thirties so that shouldn’t be a problem this weekend. Based on what we’ve been sailing on around here in marginal temps, the nights below freezing should give us a splendid surface on the twenty-four inches of ice.
Sail safe and heads up in conditions.
Looks like above freezing temps again starting Friday around noon thru the weekend. Scouts have reported today drain holes on potential regatta lakes from Maine, NH to Vermont. With that in mind and likely softening ice, its a crapshoot for a safe and fun regatta. So, I regret to say postponed again.
P.S. Some will find some sails. Remember sail heads up on these changing conditions and have fun.
This just in from Chad Atkins and Steve Madden.
- Eastern’s are postponed another week. More on this early next week
- A suitable venue for the New England’s is currently being sought New on that later today or tomorrow.
- Sailing fun to be had in Maine check http://iceboat.me They are sailing today but weather is coming so stay tuned.
The incoming weather has some cold into next week so could create perfect conditions. This has been a very challenging year but rewards were had for those who were ready for last minute travel or just happened to live nearby.
Think Ice we are not done yet.
The rumors were flying a few weeks ago. Rolling Stone Magazine would be doing an article and video at the DN NA’s. Well, those that were on Lake Charlevoix know it was more than a rumor. Watch the video, read the article and enjoy. NEIYA members got some good play as well as Champion Ron Sherry and his son Griffin.
Pay attention as there is a quiz at the bottom.
The full Rolling Stone article here
Told you there would be a quiz. Who said what?