Monomonac: my son got there. About 1″ of light snow on the lake and no wind right now, so we’re calling off our plans…if we knew the lake and hazards, it might be worth the 2 hour drive, but we don’t, so… In the meantime, I’m gonna take a look at long pond in freetown, just in case…
01/21/2021 at 7:46 am
John let us know about long pond in MA. Have not heard anything out of that area for a while. Probably nothing to report. You do know Jay is set up at sunapee right
01/21/2021 at 8:38 am
This Covid frustrated DN sailor will be running marks on Sunapee tomorrow (Thurs) and likely through the weekend. Launching from the State Park Beach on SW side of lake. Mark Freedman and I did a “Sunapee the Hard Way” today running from the beach all the way up to Sunapee harbor and discovered the large lake is in rare form. There are two open areas of concern: one at far side of lake opposite state beach 10’x20′, the other way up the lake, half way across lake from Sunapee harbor light – that hole is 60’x60′ – beware. One pressure ridge was easily crossable in that entire length of voyaging. BIG ice. Use all caution while discovering the lake. Never sail alone. Come run scratch races with me…. please keep Covid safe and stay at least 10′ away!
01/20/2021 at 10:02 pm
7 Boats on Monomonoc today. The ice was an 8 with plenty of wind. It will be cold tonight and warm again tomorrow afternoon. The best sailing will be from 8 am to 2-3 pm where the top layer many soften slightly. Future looks good. If you can’t find ice, you’re not looking.
01/19/2021 at 5:27 pm
Upstate NY group will sail tomorrow either at Round Lake (Round Lake Boat Launch) or Saratoga Lake (Brown’s Beach Boat Launch). Round Lake is a known commodity as we sailed there Monday. Saratoga Lake is bigger and reportedly has good ice but has not been fully checked yet. Will try to post here when details are firm, but may be out sailing instead of posting…
01/19/2021 at 7:00 pm
Saratoga Lake also has a good surface. Didn’t get to check it all out as the wind was a bit strong for this old f*rt. The surface was so good I must have slid 100 yards after being ejected from my DN as I attempted a jibe. Brown’s Beach offers access and parking, There are a few spots near the beach where streams enter that are open, but from what I saw at least most of the rest of the lake is fine. I expect some of the upstate gang will sail there tomorrow, maybe me too if the bruises aren’t too bad.
01/20/2021 at 6:41 pm
8 boats on Monomonoc today. Good ice, great wind and blinding snow squalls. Inauguration Day 2021.
Thanks you guys for traveling the distance. It was one of the best and fun to share.
01/20/2021 at 6:58 pm
Great speed today Kit! Thanks for the hospitality today.
01/20/2021 at 8:20 pm
Phil any pictures from today? Would love to get some coverage on our homepage.
01/20/2021 at 9:09 pm
Kit glad to hear you have gotten so many people out on the ice over the past weeks. Thanks for your efforts. Any pictures? I want to get up on our homepage.
01/20/2021 at 9:16 pm
Is there any talk of a gathering to sail this Wednesday 1/20 or Thursday 1/21? Also, this Saturday 1/23 Sunday 1/24 look like there will be enough wind to get into trouble with. Any rumors, talk, best bets on locations, scouting by locals?
01/19/2021 at 5:04 pm
My son and I are planning to meet up at Monomonac tomorrow morning around 830-930, at the public launch (just S of the “Convenience Store of Rindge”, apparently, on Rte 202 at the MA/NH border), sailing until early afternoon. I’m not sure if that’s a “meetup”, but at least it’s someone. 🙂
01/20/2021 at 7:02 pm
4 DNs and 2 other boats sailed Round Lake in NY today (1/18/21) on 8.5 conditions and fair if not a but shifty and gusty wind. Tomorrow’s conditions are forecast to be similar. I was one of the 4 and may go again tomorrow.
01/18/2021 at 8:50 pm
Personally, I can’t make it until wed or Thursday but appreciate if you post updates tomorrow. I would make the drive from long Island if warranted.
01/18/2021 at 11:07 pm
01/18/2021 at 11:17 pm
Pete is out sailing on Monomonoc. The thin layer of water froze last night. Great conditions right now with a stiff breeze. Cold again tonight
will make it even better tomorrow. Any mid week sailers out there? Good parking. I’m available to help carry and set up if needed.
01/18/2021 at 1:45 pm
Hello everyone, I have finally bought a DN here on Lake Monomonock. (Many spellings of this lake). I am a past commodore of the “Soft water sailors” MLSA. (Monomonac Lake Sailing Association) I am in the process of joining, but don’t have Paypal so I will have to do it the snail mail way. I know Kit Tucker down the other end of the lake, and also know of four or five sailors who are interested in trying this sport. I will be glad to give ice reports. There are at least 7 other ice boats here that I know of, so we have hopes of getting these boats out if the conditions permit. The ice now is soft after the rain. We have a pebble surface, with a total of about 4″ of ice. I have hopes of good ice about Wednesday. I will let you know! Chip Hastings
01/17/2021 at 12:06 pm
Thanks, Chip — let us know on Wed night and I might just get the ice-flu on Thursday morning, esp. if you can provide a good place to launch.
01/17/2021 at 3:50 pm
I am trying to catch the same Ice Flu John wants this week too. Thanks for the update Chip
01/18/2021 at 10:31 am
Any update, Chip? And where’s a place to launch if my gear is in a trailer?
01/20/2021 at 6:47 pm
Anyone sailing this Sunday near Wolfeboro, NH or Ossipee, NH?
01/09/2021 at 8:07 pm
For the New Hampshire sailors, just skated Lake Wentworth in Wolfeboro. Consistent 3+ inches of grey ice with pebbly surface very little snow in small thin patches. One small pressure ridge building. 90% of lake scouted. Remember there is always thin ice somewhere.
01/08/2021 at 3:23 pm
Thank you Charlie!!
01/08/2021 at 3:26 pm
Anyone sailing in Wolfeboro, NH or surrounding area Sunday? I’m a newbie and would love to sail with some people that can give me some tips. Let me know please! Send me a text. 617-216-9655
01/09/2021 at 9:30 am
Regretfully, I don’t think I can sail on Saturday. Will you let me know if you are sailing on Sunday? I’d be interested in joining you.
01/08/2021 at 6:55 pm
Looking for suggestions where to find good ice for Jan 5, 2021
01/04/2021 at 5:41 pm
Charles I wish we knew of anything sailable. Soon yes . Tomorrow no. If you discover otherwise please let us know.
Stay on the ready. Ice is coming.
01/04/2021 at 7:28 pm
We are all looking for more ice! The last snow front was cruel to the few plates we had so we are in a waiting game now. Unfortunately the temps are mild this week so not much ice making now. Please folks, don’t be shy. We need to hear about new plates so somebody can go check them. Rule #1 – never check ice alone! If you are the first to go out be sure to do it wisely. If you have never been scouting before be sure to have an expert teach you. With the right safety gear it can be done with minimal risk.
Old King Colds reach is bold…. it won’t be long now.
VC Jay Whitehair
01/04/2021 at 8:02 pm
I have scouted a Turkey Pond in Concord, close to me, the plate is 50 just ice, 50 covered in a dusting. Not a very big pond, but definitely sailable. I7.5 inches of ice is what I have found. I may give it a go on Saturday if we have wind! And nothing else turns up.
01/08/2021 at 8:53 am
Phil looks kinda small but If you are local it just may scratch that ice itch. Can you provide some launch info and do you feel comfortable people contacting you. This is a small time area so I would be warry about bringing in aboard of sailors. Reach out to me or karen with details.
01/08/2021 at 11:04 am
For Turkey pond, anyone should feel free to call me or email me about Turkey pond – email@example.com. – 757-705-1309. it is only .25 miles from my house. I fat fingered the Ice thickness, it is 7.5 inches, not 17.5. My drill went through the middle of it quickly, and then it was much harder for the last 2 inches, so there is a layer of softer ice in the middle, but 2-3 inches of hard ice on top. There will be a lot of tacking, but better than sitting on the couch! I’ll launch at about 9:00 on Saturday (depending on wind). If interested let me know and I’ll be sure to be there at 9:00 or before, the launch area is off Clinton street in Concord. It is a natural ramp area with quite a few rocks in the road, but still passable. Here is a link to a map:https://naturalatlas.com/boat-launches/turkey-pond-2119766
If this ice is in good shape there may be a bigger plate near by too, I’ll be scouting that out later today – Friday 1/8/21.
01/08/2021 at 12:25 pm
First signs of ice on Lake Monomonoc , NH this morning. The water temperature must be low. Won’t be long now
12/07/2020 at 5:43 pm
I’ve never sailed there; where’s the access to the ice (when it comes)?
12/11/2020 at 5:55 pm
Planning on trying Bantam morning of January 11, 2020. Looks like the most likely possibility, but will need to check carefully.
01/10/2020 at 9:23 pm
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.
( Log Out /
You are commenting using your Google account.
( Log Out /
You are commenting using your Twitter account.
( Log Out /
You are commenting using your Facebook account.
( Log Out /
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Notify me of new posts via email.
Blog at WordPress.com.