NEIYA Forum

Have something to share? Post it here.

Reply to a previous comment or to post a new one click here

111 responses

  1. Reid Wishner

    Hi! My name is Reid and I’m a freshman on the Northeastern University sailing team. I’m from California where there is no ice sailing, and since moving out here for college, I’ve always wanted to try it. I could drive out to Quaboag Pond tomorrow (2/17). Is there anyone who could show me the ropes and let me use a boat for a little while?

    02/16/2020 at 1:53 pm

  2. capcass

    Any word on Quaboag? A couple of us are thinking of taking the ride from Long Island for what may be the only sail of the season.

    02/15/2020 at 8:32 am

    • Commodore John Stanton

      The reports from yesterday were not complete and must be scouted more thoroughly. It really needs a few days of below freezing to seal things up. We are getting that but it has only been 24 hrs. Frankly, I am cautiously optimistic but at this time can not recommend traveling any distance. Let’s see Maybe Monday.

      John

      02/15/2020 at 8:47 am

  3. Ralph Lindenfeld

    Anyone heading out on the ice this weekend?

    Wifey is getting tired of hearing “we will see” 🙂

    02/14/2020 at 10:38 am

    • Ralph Lindenfeld

      Looking at the Quabbin and Winnipesaukee web cams I see open water and snow cover, respectively. From NOAA’s snow cover map It looks like snowcover there as well.

      I’m guessing there’s no boating..?

      02/14/2020 at 12:05 pm

      • Ralph Lindenfeld

        Sorry, snow cover in Maine

        02/14/2020 at 12:05 pm

  4. Randy RICE

    Class C Skeeter “Black Fly”

    Cockpit

    Central NH
    Light weight, lively, car toppable
    Please contact Randy for more information sailfast1@myfairpoint.net

    02/11/2020 at 6:55 am

  5. Ralph Lindenfeld

    Folks –

    I just acquired the Leo Harvey’s DN 1925 and am itching to get it out on some ice.

    We are located on the MA south shore but will drive where necessary.

    Would anyone be able to point me to a lake with some folks on it, say this coming weekend 2/15-16 or the week after?

    I realize the recent/ongoing snow will throw a wrench in things.

    Thanks,

    RL

    02/10/2020 at 5:24 pm

    • Commodore John Stanton

      Ralph,

      Congratulations on your recent purchase. You will be thrilled with it soon enough. We feel your pain. The recent weather that is moving through will, hopefully, resurface the ice. We are looking at NH and Midcoast Maine. Stay tuned for announcements on the homepage.

      John

      02/10/2020 at 5:44 pm

      • Ralph Lindenfeld

        Edit: Leo Healey, not Harvey.

        02/12/2020 at 3:01 pm

  6. Looking for a DN Sail for my Kent Carbonfiber mast.
    Ed Edwards DN 677. Yes, she’s old! Erkimin@gmail.com

    02/07/2020 at 6:01 pm

  7. Claire Mieszkalski

    Hi all!

    I’m a student at Mount Royal University in Calgary, Alberta studying Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership. This term I have a class that requires me to research and present on an outdoor winter sport. I stumbled upon the existence of ice sailing a while ago and decided to focus on it for this project.
    I was wondering if anyone would have an email address/contact that would be willing to share some insight into the sport from a participant’s perspective?

    Thanks in advance!

    02/06/2020 at 3:33 pm

  8. Mark Friedman

    Newfound Lake was Awesome yesterday.Large plates of smooth ice in the central area of the lake. Beware the open water at the North end. Unfortunately I now have a small tear at the foot of the sail. Can anyone recommend a good sailmaker for a repair job?

    02/06/2020 at 9:46 am

  9. Mark Friedman

    The best information I have (based on Jamie Hess / satellite / first hand scouting) is that Newfound Lake and Winni are better than Sunapee.
    I plan to sail Newfound tomorrow. Launch from Wellington State Park in Bristol.

    ———- Forwarded message ———
    From: Jamie Hess
    Date: Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    Subject: Re: Ice sailing
    To: Mark Friedman

    The infrared satellite images of Sunapee look pretty
    bad, in contrast to the images of Winni and Newfound.

    On the attached images, black ice shows as black; gray ice shows as
    powder blue; and snow or snow-ice shows as white. Most land areas show
    as red (or white if they are snow-covered open fields)

    We’re skating Newfound tomorrow at 10am. Last gasp before the storm.

    Think ice,
    Jamie

    02/04/2020 at 9:14 pm

  10. Michael Normandeau

    anyone sail Quaboag this weekend or Bantam lake this weekend?

    01/31/2020 at 11:15 am

    • Commodore John Stanton

      Michael,

      Was about to put a status post up. But since you asked, here is the short answer.

      Both Bantam and Quaboag have been checked yesterday. Both are unusable. Quaboag is deeply rutted with multiple pressure ridges and open leads and in general not thick enough. Bantam has a good surface but not thick enough. Looking at the forecast it doesn’t look like we will get on these two any time soon but hey you never know.

      Winnipesaukee and Dameriscata, check iceboat.me, in Maine look like our weekend options. I know that many will be heading to Winni launching out of Ellacoya State Park.

      John

      01/31/2020 at 11:21 am

  11. Mark Friedman

    Sailed Winni today. Ice is rough in spots, but some smooth areas as well. This was my first time with the new boat in good wind (10 MPH). I could not let it go all out for fear of creating a sonic boom. Hazards include rough ice, pressure ridges and one open lead (that I saw – before I sailed into it).

    01/29/2020 at 8:48 pm

  12. Mark Friedman

    Lake Sunapee has sandwhich layers of frozen slush / water / ice as of today. Still too soft to sail today. Should be hard by tomorrow, but the ice is rough. Who has info on Lake Winnipisaukee?

    01/28/2020 at 12:53 pm

  13. Mark Friedman

    Lake Sunapee has a sheet of ice 4-8 inches thick which was covered by slush yesterday. I am hopeful it will freeze tonight..

    If so there may be sailing from the state beach or Georges Mills. Any one interested can contact me at edoc02@gmail.com. Wind forecast is 8-9mph

    Mark Friedman

    01/27/2020 at 5:41 pm

  14. Peter Feinstein

    Anyone aware of conditions or sailing on Lake Mahkeenac in the Bershires? Also called Stockbridge Bowl. 375 acres.

    01/23/2020 at 3:53 pm

  15. Gary Clark

    Looking for a stainless steel 10/32 turnbuckle for DN rigging. If anyone has one or can let me know where I can purchase surplus hardware that would be helpful. Thank you

    01/20/2020 at 9:05 pm

  16. Spencer Sprecker

    I wanted to thank everyone for show a newbie around Quaboug on Friday. Especially Evanfor letting me slide his boat around. Saturday I was able to set up my boat for the first time. Looking forward more fun when things get solid again.

    Spencer Sprecker
    Guilford, CT

    01/12/2020 at 9:00 pm

  17. Bob Haag DN5476

    Planning on trying Bantam morning of January 11, 2020. Looks like the most likely possibility, but will need to check carefully.

    01/10/2020 at 9:23 pm

  18. John Hughes

    Quaboag Jan 8?

    Assuming we don’t get a lot of snow overnight here in RI, I might be eager to play hookey and drive up to Quaboag early(ish) tomorrow, esp. if anyone else is likely to be there, because I won’t sail alone. (A report from someone nearby on whether it got all snowed out overnight would be nice too, even if it’s only a what-you-saw-as-you-drive-by-on-your-way-to-work report.)

    Anyone interested? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? The forecast sounds reasonable in the morning (6-11) increasing to tough in the afternoon (15-20) with a little “wild” (gusts to 31) thrown in. I’ll be leaving about the time it hits 12-15 kts.

    01/07/2020 at 4:48 pm

    • Commodore John Stanton

      John,

      I do hope people respond. Anyone out there going to join John @ Quaboag? Let’s hear from you.

      J

      01/07/2020 at 5:58 pm

    • John Hughes

      Actually…I have to eat my words — I have a doctor’s appt mid-day, dammit. But THURSDAY…I could definitely do Thursday. And that’ll give me Wednesday to make sure I’ve got everything in my trailer, and can still fit into my drysuit. 😦

      01/07/2020 at 7:35 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s