2018 Season

2018 North Americans: Called ON for Lake Charlevoix, MI

Sorry for the miss posts. Here is the complete message.

 

The 2018 DN North American Championship Regatta has been called on for Lake Charlevoix in Michigan.

LAUNCH

ALTERNATIVE LAUNCH (Whiting Park is closer to sailing area)
Boyne City:

REGISTRATION 
On site: 5 – 7:30 PM at regatta headquarters
Call In: 401-787-4567
Opening Ceremony: 8 PM Tentative

LODGING:
Odawa Hotel
1444 US-131, Petoskey, MI 49770
(231) 347-6041
$89 Wednesday & Thursday night
$119 Friday & Saturday night
Includes $15 casino voucher for each night, hot buffet breakfast, indoor pool, and hut tub

RACING BEGINS THURSDAY, JAN 25


2018 North Americans Update #5: DN DAWN PATROL TUESDAY | DN North America

http://na.idniyra.org/2018/01/21/2018-north-americans-update-5-dn-dawn-patrol-tuesday/


Monday – Funday…

All,

Here are a few shots taken on Mecox Bay Southampton NY earlier today.

Mecox Sunday Hamptons style from the air of course.

Miller hits the ice old school… Monday moring 11/22/17 Iceboaters dream conditions! 5″ hard beautiful ice, with 1″ of water and 5-6 knts of breeze . Was great till the wind crapped out and the fog rolled in.

What a great way to spend Monday. Beats the hell out of staring at a computer screen


Some Sailing, Much Waiting

 

The ever tenacious found a small window of sailing as temperatures rose melting the snow down a bit and before turning mushy, sticky and generally unsafe. Mecox Bay in Eastern Long Island, Webster Lake (aka Chaubunagungamaug) and Pocotopaug in CT and Winnipesaukee in NH all saw some sailing.

The conditions on Webster were just perfect for second season sailor Bella who ripped it up in her  custom Langley designed pink pocket skeeter. This young lady is a force to be reckoned with in a few years. Go Bella!

For the rest of us including the 100+ DNers waiting for tonight’s call on the North American Championships venue we need to wait for this next bit of weather to move through.

Stay tuned and THINK ICE there is more sailing in just a few days.

John

P.S. If any members are not getting ice report emails please drop me a note. John@neiya.org Remember, if you don’t tell someone it just didn’t happen.


DN North American Championship Udate

The regatta site decision has been postponed for 24 hours because of unsettled weather conditions in all regions. Thank you for your patience. Next update Friday, January 18 by 10 PM EST.


The Big Zamboni is out

From our friends at the Connecticut Ice Yacht Club in Litchfield, a hopeful reminder that good ice could be on the other side of this warm snap. Bantam lamps


Good Things, In The Works…

Joachim Roesler captured from above on Herring Pond Thursday 1/11/18

All,

Our Cruising Chair Bill Buchholz is thinking that there just may be a Winni Hardway attempt coming up. He reports that Lee Spiller plans to round up a scouting team on Sunday to check the lake for Hard Way possibilities. Skate sailors have been touring the lake recently and report pretty good conditions, with only one major reef.Refresh your memories on the rules and the fun from past runs. We’ll update the minute we get the report.

Winnipesaukee “the Hard Way” | New England Ice Yacht Association

Stay tuned for the smooth and refreeze taking place all over the North East. Don’t forget to report into the group ice reports.

John
john@neiya.org