Between the Snow Flakes

Looks like we will be be dodging the weather once again. There is weather coming so you have to make your own call.

At this time I do not have solid info on anything but Chickawaukie Pond in Rockland ME. The Maine guys are planning to sail tomorrow from the public ramp off Rt 17. Bill has put out the welcome mat on iceboat.me but there is weather coming so you have to make your own call, especially if coming from afar. For those of you who have never sailed Chickawaukie Pond it had been the center of the Maine iceboating community for years but weather patterns have shifted around so we have not sailed it much in a few seasons.

If you are arriving by sea please consult current charts or your plotter otherwise just use Google.

 

I do know that people were on Bantam Lake in CT this week but they are getting snow and we need to wait to see how that shakes out. All else has been silent Not to sound desperate but we are all hoping for some form of ice boating Shangri La. Could it be just over the Lost Horizon?

Charlie Silfvenius is intending to call the Winni Hardway ON just as soon as the conditions materialize. When that is? Who knows. But the call will go out on all channels so be on the ready. Given the way this season has been I very much expect to see an outbreak of ice flu throughout New England and the mid Atlantic.

 

Don’t stop Thinking Ice as we are not done yet.

John
DN5023

4 responses

  1. WA

    John:

    Five of us sailed DNs on Bantam yesterday. Cold (27°F+/-) and there was a packed 3/8″ of snow on top. May have received a bit more snow last night. With breeze (gusty) it was a blast. Ice was thick (let’s avoid numbers … but other lakes in the area are measuring 8-9″) and scouted and folks were sailing over much of the lake. Easy to keep going in open areas but the west-north-westerly(shifty) could leave you pushing your boat on the west shore (from where we launched). They were expecting a southwesterly today and a number of the folks were staying to sail again today. Photo is packed up getting ready to leave.

    [image: image.png]

    03/01/2019 at 3:40 pm

    • Hoping that works out know there is fluffy stuff falling and more on the way.

      03/01/2019 at 3:46 pm

  2. D Williams

    Hi John,

    About that Hard Way call, are you going? Will he give 24 hour notice so we can travel the day before?

    Otherwise almost impossible for us in CT.

    Deane

    03/01/2019 at 2:49 pm

    • Deane,

      Completely understand Im coming from SW CT. Charlie will give as much notice as possible. Ideally called on Wednesday for an attempt on Saturday but that may not be possible. We will work with what we have and try to make it happen.

      JJS

      03/01/2019 at 3:45 pm